Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Exploration / Destruction Starts

Well the boat was home and I now had some time to start exploring

At first sight the cabin seemed OK. It was worn but considering its age to be expected and I was still hopeful that I might be able to update the electrics  etc and renovate the interior.

But it was not to be.!!!!!!!!!!

My first exploration was to check at the back just in front of the shower. There was a gap leading to the fresh water and grey water tanks. As I felt around I discovered the keel beam in that area appeared to be only dust. Clearly that would need restoring.

Next I started to lift the carpet and and the floor section from the front. Underneath that was buoyancy foam. The timbers to the sides appeared to have some water damage. I cut down through some of the foam and found moisture. Then the question was how much and how bad.

Mother nature helped me at this point with the only decent rain of the year. It became clear that I had a major leak in the roof, centered on the swamp cooler.



When it stopped raining I was able to see the extent of the damage. The mountings of the cooler were completely rotted and the mechanical were also beyond repair. It had to go before any more damage could be done. This was quickly removed and the opening was increased to allow the installation of a  roof  vent from an RV

No comments:

Post a Comment