Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Boat Yard

After only a quick inspection it was clear that the mechanicals needed a major review at the very least. I also knew that would be outside of my ability. A quick phone survey of the local options left me with one yard that I felt understood my thinking, especially as a was not looking for some form of show boat.

So we went to Corona Marine to be greeted by Joe and further discussion we had a preliminary estimate and a plan of action. A few days later the first phone call.

But first a little background. This boat is an early form of ABS plastic. Its basic construction is two molds. Deck and Hull, each consisting of two layers of plastic around a foam core. At the transom the foam had been replaced by Ply for increased stiffness. Also underneath were two metal keel plates apparently bolted through to keel beams inside the hull. The floor and cabin were then built up from these beams.

It was clear the motor had to come out to reseal between the motor and drive. However when it came out the wood inside the transom was rotted and needed to be replaced. Joe wasn't sure how much more damage he would find as he peeled back the layers.

A few days more another phone call asking me to come down. When I got there Joe explained he wanted to show me before they started anything. This is were the trees mentioned earlier came in. When I looked I could see sever damage to the beams including live adult termites. We settled on a plan Joe was going to clear all the damaged wood as far as the cabin and rebuild up to the floor level and then seal with fiberglass. I would pick up the reconstruction in the cabin once I got it home.





It was now clear that my delusion of getting on the water before the end of the year (2013) was less and less likely.

The motor was now out and on a bench. It's a 4 cylinder Volvo Penta matched up with a Chrysler Marine Drive. The motor itself needed a new oil pan but otherwise seemed OK. The carburetor on the other hand was less certain. This fear proved grounded as it was stripped down it proved to be beyond repair/refurbishment, leading to a frantic search on the net to find a replacement. Eventually a suitable body was located and a few days later delivered following a few nail biting times hoping not to be out bid on E bay.

Now we could start healing, at least the back. So reconstruction could start including a new fuel tank, and at the end of November Joe delivered my boat to home easily backing into our angle RV parking. ( The Travel Trailer now relegated to storage and I at the time was incapacitated having had surgery a week before on my hand).

Now I could start to investigate further the cabin.

To Be Continued

1 comment:

  1. I have definitely found some wood rot to the point that it is actually dust although some of it is moist and so concerns me that I may have a similar issue to that which you describe.

    ReplyDelete